Friday, January 18, 2013

A special meeting on a special day

A special boy gives his friend and walking buddy a kiss

Earlier this week I received an email from Major Bo Jangle's mom.  They had been at the park, got to talking with a man about the dog he was walking for his neighbour.  They discovered a link, one which involved me.  They emailed me, and we all arranged to meet at the same park today.  I have a ton of pictures to edit, but can't resist putting up this teaser.  Anyone care to guess who this sweetheart is?  (the dog, not the man - though he was very nice too! )

It was fitting that I should receive this 'gift' of doggy connections today - it is the fifth anniversary of this blog. You'll find the very first entry, written on January 18th, 2008, here:  Welcome to my blog!

Since that date,  my viewing numbers have gradually increased.  Approximately 180,000 people visited this blog for more than one minute (the counter doesn't include people who don't stay for 60 seconds or more).  The number of "unique visitors" (excluding repeat visits from the same IP number) have steadily increased each year, and more than doubled in the past two years.  So far this year,  in just 18 days, we have had 2,336 unique visitors.   It's a drop in the bucket compared to some of the most popular blogs I know, but it is rewarding to know my photos and stories are enjoyed by many. Many of you have returned hundreds of times, and some of you have been with me from the very start.

No less important than the readers are the animals who have been a big part of this blog.  I started it with Charley, Belle, Caleb, Martin, Allie, Emma, Scotch and Soda and ten little piglets.  Since then, we've said hello and sometimes goodbye to many others:  Sadie and Oliver and Eddie, who joined my family, and fosters Pepper, Petey, Chinook, Dover,  Jessie, and who can forget Lucy Loo and her ten puppies!  And then there have been a raft of visiting dogs in my care while their folks were away - Sasha and Sam and Georgi and Sadie B and Noon and Becky, as well as others who arrived for visits with their folks.  This winter Riley has been staying with us.

I wonder who will come to the blog in the next five years?

7 comments:

Brigid said...

Here's to another five more blogging years, Jean! - love your writing and your pictures and your critters...

Marie said...

It doesn't surprise me that the counts of readers has grown, your writings are so interesting and the pictures are fabulous. I'm so glad that you met another friend today, I can hardly wait to see more of your photos!

georgia little pea said...

I'm late, I'm late! The man has been hogging the iPad all day looking for somewhere for us to move to LOL.

What a lot of people visit your blog! You're definitely one of my favourites and I'm so glad I found you. So many changes, comings and goings in 5 years. I guess that's what makes your blog interesting and exciting! Not to mention, the nice lady writing the posts :)

In 5 years... my goodness. I can't see that far ahead!

I have no idea who that dog is. Bo J's brother? Good night and a big hug from a fan x

Jean said...

Good guess, GLP - but which one? Hahaha!

I will post the answer, and more pics, later today or tomorrow. Off to the vet with Eddie this afternoon - he has injured his already-bum-leg.

Anonymous said...

fantastic photo!
Wendy

Sheryl said...

It is so nice to see updates on Lucy's "kids".
Congratulations on 5 years!

Unknown said...

Happy blogiversary! Those are pretty impressive numbers. How wonderful to be able to see the grown up puppy in person. I can imagine how warm your heart must feel.