Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hello, 2012!

I can’t say I’m sorry to wave goodbye to 2011.  I will gladly boot it out the door.  While it was not the most difficult year of my life, it was certainly one of my saddest. In the last four months alone, I have lost my foster dog Pepper; my friend Char; my sister and closest human friend in the world, Carole; and my beloved old dog Charley.



Pepper


Charley

It was also the year in which we said those sad final goodbyes to my neighbour Buck, my dogsitter Patti, and friends’ dogs Sam and Mara and Gingersnap, and Deb’s cat Jasper, not to forget many other old critters belonging to internet friends and face-to-face friends.


Sam
Mara

Ginger Snap

Jasper
(Photo by Deb Strong)

They were good souls, these dogs, cats, and humans. My life was enriched by having known them.

It wasn’t all sad, last year. There were happy times too, like the month that Sam stayed with me before he passed away, and short term visits from Georgie and my granddog Becky and others. There were dogs who came with their humans, like Becky with my daughter;  Kinley and Logan with Ellen; Taleah and Riley with Deb and Sharon ;  and there were humans who came without dogs, like my longtime friends two-legged Charlie, and Ann and Ken.

Georgie
Becky

Kinley and Logan
Riley
Taleah
(Oh my goodness, she looks so much like Eddie!)

There was foster dog Jessie, and little Dover the Piglet, both of whom found their forever homes. And now there is foster dog Petey, and my newest canine family member, Eddie. And, of course, Sadie and Allie are still here to make me laugh.


Jessie

Dover

Petey
Eddie




Sadie
Allie
(Allie:  "Ah notice she saved the best fer last!!  Heheheheheh")

And there was oh so much more - great times with friends, volunteering at the SPCA and Chemainus theatre, my writers' group and my book club, co-writing the "Crofton Connection" column for the Chemainus Courier with Liz Forbes, and exploring my beautiful island.

I hope that 2012 will hold many more of the good times – more fosters, friends and fun – and less of the sad ones.   I have had a story accepted for publication in a Canadian anthology of animal stories (more about that when I have the contract in my grubby little paw), and I've developed my photography skills and have started making photocards for various rescues and private sales. I've signed up for some walks and hikes with Elder College for the coming year, and can't wait to see and photograph some places I haven't been before. And, of course, Eddie, Sadie and I will have many adventures.  The year ahead is full of possibilities.

So, Hello, 2012. What surprises do you have in store for me?

Happy New Year, everyone.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hoping that 2012 brings much happiness your way.

I am going back to read about sweet Dover again :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your story!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post Jean. I too hope 2012 will be wonderful for you.

Else

georgia little pea said...

It certainly was a tough year for you, Jean B. I find, the older I get, the more of these final goodbyes I seem to be saying. They must have happened when I was young too - they just didn't stay with me as they do now.

I remember Jessie and Dover! I still haven't managed to teach Georgia how to ring the doorbell lol.

Is that THE story? Congratulations! You're going to be rich and famous [maybe you already are, I'm not sure ;p]

Anyway, I'm glad your post ended on an optimistic note. How else can we greet a brand new year, right? HUGS for the day x

Morning Bray Farm said...

I'm sorry for all of the loss you experienced in 2011. :( Here's to a wonderful, happy 2012 filled with lots of love.

Congratulations on being published! Your photos are lovely.

You're doing wonderful things - keep it up! :)

Jean said...

GLP - yes, it is THE story that I shared with you earlier. I've known for a month now that it had been selected for the book, but was reluctant to say anything. However, a Christmas card from the editor, saying she is looking forward to working with me, gave me the courage to shout it to the world.