Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday morning services

The morning light

I left organized religion many years ago. Yet this Sunday morning I find myself standing in a most beautiful cathedral listening to an awe-inspiring choir – a cathedral without walls, a cathedral without a preacher.

No stained glass windows for me – I have the colours of nature to inspire me. The fresh green shoots of grass, the bright yellow of the skunk cabbage, the steel grey of the cascading water in the stream, the periwinkle blue of the sky where the clouds part to reveal its splendor. The daffodils and japonica in my yard are in bloom, and I find a late crocus poking its lavender head through the winter grasses. Ladybugs are everywhere, their tiny dots of red and black covering my bushes and windows like little drops of life-giving blood.

In the distance I hear the familiar woodeling and ki-yi-ing from the dogs of a neighbouring animal sanctuary as they greet a visitor or go for their morning run. And I hear the birds, an amazing array of birds – Northern flickers and sparrows, robins and Steller’s jays and European starlings, mallards and Bewick’s wrens and the tiny black-capped chickadees.

Close by I hear a sound I have only heard once or twice, the loud resonant drumming of a pileated woodpecker. They are large, colourful birds, the ones the famous Woody Woodpecker was modeled after. We seldom see them here – they are a shy bird who quickly moves away when humans intrude. This morning, I am richly blessed with the sight of the bird in a nearby tree and quickly snap a photo before he moves farther afield. I step closer to marvel at the depth of the hole he has drilled in the soft damp trunk.
Pileated woodpecker high in my tree

His morning's work

I hear the piglets happily munching their greens, their soft oofs and erfs and oinks marking their satisfaction. Martin, too, chomps his lettuce and makes a soft high-pitched hum to tell me he is pleased.
Martin in his pen

Piglet guards his carrot

Derby chowing down on greens

A small flock of Canada geese call their greeting to me as they wing overhead. In the distance, I hear the call of a hawk, possibly the first of the Kestrels returning to the area after the winter migration.

The only human- made sound to impinge on this moment is the hand-rung melodic bells of a nearby monastery echoing off the hills and across the valley, complementing the sounds of nature and reminding me that we, too, are part of nature and that all life must live in harmony.

Tomorrow, my introductory sociology class discusses religion. It is always a challenge explaining to my students, many of whom have very strong ties to organized religion, that a sociological examination of the institution of religion is not a challenge to their faith. Many are unable to understand the difference between spirituality and the social structures in which our society packages and presents it.

I hope there are times in their lives when they too experience moments when the heart is full of joy and peace, moments when their connection to the earth and all creation feels complete.

For me, those moments come when I am standing on a hillside at the break of day, drinking in the beauty such as I have been blessed to taste this morning. For me, that is spirituality. That is my faith.

Sadie sharing the morning's beauty

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,

You always amaze me with your ability to write what I sometimes feel. Yes, Sundays while most of my neighbors (they are good neighbors) go to a Christian church I ususally find my spirituality doing yoga (listening to music; waves of the ocean, whale sounds, or other instrumental music. Another of my favorite spiritual activities is "gardening" (sometimes it's weeding more than gardening).

I live in an extremely Christian community and find that while most are accepting of non-Christians; some brainwash their children to be most intolerant of others who do not go to a Church. For example, my son who is tall, thin and a bit on the feminine side has been verbally bashed at school as being "gay" based on nothing other than the way he looks physically. When I found out who these children were, all were from good Christian homes, go to church and are taught that homosexuality is wrong. While I do not take my children to church I encourage them to go with their friends to find out what is spiritual for them and teach them tolerance of others.
You should challenge your students in your first year class; after all they will be the next generation of paid workers who in their varied careers will either be tolerant of differences or non-accepting of those who do not agree with their views.

You don't have to post this if you find the subject inappropriate.
Thanks for your honesty Jean!

Lou

Anonymous said...

I like this Church, your sermon is inspiring.

Janice
Hearts On Noses

Anonymous said...

But does this help you live with or better understand and tolerate human critters? It is easy to be spiritually inspired when alone. After all, the piggys and woodpeckers will not challenge your views. For me, living in human community is the challenge. I find many non-Christians as intolerant and anti-feminist andti gay as many Christians. Stereotypes, anyone? I understand if you don't want to publish this...really.

Elizabeth

Jean said...

Oh my, I didn't mean to start a debate here. I agree that both those who belong to organized religion (of any kind, not just Christianity) and those who do not can all be sexist, racist, inhumane, etc.
However, that aside...in answer to your question, Elizabeth: Does this help me live with or better understand human critters? The answer is YES - it helps me considerably in my relationships with humans. It helps in two ways: Firstly, it keeps me centred, balanced, and helps me to de-stress, and that makes my interactions with humans much healthier. Secondly, the animals and nature in general teaches me incredibly valuable and unbiased lessons about how we should live our lives, about living in harmony with each other and with the environment - and those lessons have vastly improved the way I approach my human interactions.

And believe it or not, the animals DO challenge my views. They may not do so directly, but watching how they live their lives has certainly challenged any ideas I ever had about the superiority of humans over other life forms!

Anonymous said...

Jean you and I belong to the same "church" You have made the "why" come to life with your wonderful gife with words in a way that I never could.
Thank you

Else