Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sadie says hello

Sadie

Hi. My name is Sadie and I have been having kinda a bad time lately.

I grew up with a loving family, and they taught me how to be a well behaved dog. Then they fell upon very hard times and things got worse and worse until we were all homeless, living in a car – my humans, the cat, and me. We were in a cold place, too, so it was not very comfortable.

But my humans loved me very much, and eventually they knew this could not continue and so they tearfully took me to the SPCA and said goodbye to me. They didn’t want to, but they knew that they could no longer look after me.

I didn't like it there. There were lots of scared, confused dogs barking. I shared a kennel with a very nice dog and the people were very kind to me, but it wasn’t home and my family was gone, and my heart was hurting, and people who came to adopt a dog passed me by because of my age. Most people don't want seniors even though we are very , very nice!

Then one day there was a phone call. I heard the human at the SPCA talking to someone from Okanagan Collie Rescue. OCR said they would get me out of the kennel and find a nice place for me to stay.

So last night someone put me in a van and we drove all night long! Early this morning I arrived at another SPCA. I didn’t know what was going on, so that was scary too even though the humans there were very kind and reassuring. But I barked and barked and barked until they brought me inside instead of leaving me in the kennel outside. Then I barked some more before going to sleep.

But then this afternoon, a nice woman arrived. She said she was my foster mama and that I was going to live with her. We got in her car and drove some more, and then we stopped. She took me into a vet’s office, but I didn’t have to see the vet. I just had to stand on the scale. I weigh 87 pounds!!! My foster mom says I have to lose about 30 pounds. Ooops.

Back in the car again. Again we stopped. We got out of the car, and the nice woman opened the door to her house, and was I ever surprised!!! There is a dog who looks JUST LIKE ME!!! Well, a skinnier version of me! Hahahahaha – that is so funny. It is the first time I have laughed in a long while.

Sadie and Charley


And you should see this place! The house is little and old, and the barn is kinda funny looking, but it is a FARM!!! I’m a FARM dog!!! I met some piggies and didn’t bark at them at all. And there’s a funny looking large white thing my new mama says is an alpaca (never heard of that!). And there’s another little dog here too – looks kinda like us but much smaller and a different colour. And there’s a cat too – and she LIKES me!!! She came right up and sniffed me and she thinks I’m pretty nice. I think she’s nice too. She’s not scared of me at all!

And after I had my nice dinner, we all went for a walk in the pasture. That was fun, and I was very well behaved and didn’t have to be on leash cuz I come when I hear my name – or at least stop and look. Hahahaha! I got stared at by two llamas in the next field, but they didn’t sound an alarm cuz they know my foster mama doesn’t let us dogs bother them.

Llamas checking out the newcomer

Three dogs in the pasture


I miss my family very much, but I think I’m gonna like it here. I will try to be very, very good. Maybe my foster mama will adopt me!

I hope my other family is well and that life gets better for them. I hope they know I am okay. I’m sending them kisses on the wind. Maybe if everyone would help blow those kisses north, they will get there. Please?

Sadie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foster huh? Looks suspiciously like a permanent match to me. Thanks so much for taking this girl in.

Deb S

Anonymous said...

Hello Jean,
Sometimes your stories make my eyes water (O.K. maybe cry a bit). What a sad story about Sadie and her human family. It is fortunate for Sadie to have you as her new foster mama.
Wish you the best with Sadie the new addition to your family.

Lou,
Abbotsford

Anonymous said...

Welcome Sadie, we are very much looking forward to meeting you and having you join us on our walks out by the river.
Don't worry about those extra pounds, they will melt off in no time. With all the fun and fresh air you'll get on the farm, you will soon be in fine shape.

Ellen, Toby and Kinley

Jean said...

Ellen, how come the fun and fresh air I get on the farm doesn't melt the pounds off me???? I think Sadie and I will be dieting and exercising together.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Sadie.. we all know your not going any where !!!!

What a beautiful dog herd you have Jean, bravo!!

Janice
Hearts On Noses