Saturday, March 15, 2008

At the end of the day



My favourite times of the day are sunrise and sunset. There are few times as peaceful, as beautiful, as restful as those moments just before the world awakens or just after it goes to bed. This is especially true on crisp spring or fall days when the air is cool, the ground is damp, and a soft mist is rising from the land just as the first or last rays of sunlight streak across the hills.

Today was a rather dreary day, as far as weather goes – a bit of rain, a bit of sun, a lot of cloud. But just as the day was ending, the clouds suddenly lifted from the horizon, giving egress to a brilliant shaft of light which illuminated the trees and the hills all around my home.

My camera, a simple point and shoot, cannot do it justice (and nor can I as the unskilled photographer). But as I glanced out the window at the darkening world, I could not help but run outside, camera in hand, to capture the images to the best of my ability.

There really was no need, though – because the brilliant colours, the rising mist, the deep blue sky, the animals settling in for the night, the frog chirping his evensong down by the creek, the mallards winging across to the pond – these images are indelibly set in my mind. Would that all could see the beauty that I have had the privilege to see.





No comments: