Sunday, May 24, 2009

Caleb's Ashes




When my precious Caleb died of cancer, I had him cremated individually and the ashes returned to me – something I had never done before. The beautiful urn in which they came has been sitting on a shelf in my office, a constant reminder of a wonderful dog – not that I need ashes in an urn to remember my Caleb.

I have been thinking about what to do with these ashes. I am simply not the type to leave the urn sitting on the mantle until I die and whomever disposes of my worldly goods chucks it the garbage. I knew I would release those ashes, set them free somewhere, but where? On the dikes where he loved to swim? On the mountain trail where he loved to hike with his doggy daycare buddies and Kelly? In the pasture here, where he ran and played and then leaned against my legs as I sat on the bench at the top of the hill?

When I made the decision to move to Crofton, I found my answer. Caleb came from the Cowichan Valley SPCA, and one of the first outings I had with him was with the Wednesday Walking Group at Swallowfield. As a dog who had been abused, and then was in the shelter for many months, no doubt this taste of freedom was pure delight – especially given the river to swim in, sticks to be thrown, and other dogs to play with. And so I decided to release half his ashes at Swallowfield after I move, and the other half here in my little corner of heaven, where Caleb became part of my family and where I will be leaving a piece of my heart.

Today is exactly two years since I adopted Caleb. It seems a very fitting day to release the first half of his ashes here in the pasture, so bright with yellow flowers and sunlight. And next month, I shall release the other half at Swallowfield, where I sense his spirit each time the dogs and I walk in that beautiful place where Caleb first found his freedom.

Caleb, you are forever loved and missed.






Footnote: And as I released Caleb’s ashes at sunrise this morning, I also took a moment to honour Thomas and Lexi, two very special dogs I once knew and loved, both of whom passed away this month. I remember them with great affection, and respectfully offer my condolences to the humans who grieve their passing. We shall see them again some day, at the Rainbow Bridge.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Letting the ashes free to lie in a special place is truly a moving experience. We have done so with several of our dogs...we now have our beloved Caymus' sitting on our mantle waiting for the right moment. Like your Caleb part will go in his special place where he loved to run and play at Buntzen Lake..the other part will be here at the only home he as a lucky dog ever knew..Caleb did not have that special luck of knowing only one home but he must have thought the home with you was the total best..

I had the pleasure of knowing Lexi and seeing what a sweetheart she was...Thomas the BC I heard quite often about and knew he went to a great home....RIP all of you..

Cheryl

Janice Gillett said...

Aw jean, look at him so cute!!! I bet he has a big smile on his face right now!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sentiment Jean. Caleb was so very happy at your place exploring the fields and his joy at swiming in the river at Swallowfield.
It breatks my heart that he left this life when he had just found true happiness and all the love a dog could ask for. Caleb deserved so much more.

Else

Colleen said...

Handsome handsome boy.:)

I think he would have loved what you are doing. I have 3 urns of ashes waiting to be placed...this summer it will be done.

Black Jack's Carol said...

What a beautiful tribute to your handsome boy, Jean.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you, Jean. Seeing his picture made me tear up. What a beautiful tribute. Can't think of better ways to free his ashes.

Lots of love to you, Jean. :)

NN+MP