Monday, May 11, 2009

And Then There Were None



Farm animals, that is.

Martin the alpaca has headed to his new home on Vancouver Island. For those unfamiliar with his story, he was bought by a former tenant on this property and then abandoned six months later. A series of subsequent tenants continued his neglect over the next six years, and the breeder who lived next door stood by and did nothing. Martin's only shelter was a tree, his only food the pasture, with an occasional bale of hay tossed his way in winter if a tenant was so inclined.

I have been looking after him for the past three years, and asked the landlord to sign him over to me. Although I couldn't offer him a forever home (I can't afford acreage on my pension), I can make sure he is never abandoned or neglected again.

And so I found him the perfect home. You can read more about it here. In a nutshell, he will be integrated into a herd of alpacas on eleven beautiful acres on Vancouver Island, cared for by a woman who offers a home to many critters and who clearly loves the animals in her care.

Today, his new mama came to pick him up in her van, and with very little fuss or stress he accepted his halter, was led to the van, climbed in (with a little encouragement) and settled down for the ride. Of course, it was pouring rain - I wonder if wet alpaca in a car smells as bad as wet dog???

Martin waits for his ride

Settling down for the long journey home

Martin is going to be "Uncle Martin" to four young alpacas for a week or so, and then integrated into the full herd at the shearing next week. And I will be there to witness it - I have been invited to assist with the shearing and the sorting of the fibre.

And that leads to one other happy note to this story. For a couple of years I volunteered many, many hours a week at a multi-species sanctuary. It was one of the highlights of my life - I felt like I had found my true purpose, my raison d'etre. I loved the animals deeply and the work was the most fulfilling I had ever done. When, for reasons I won't get into here, I was no longer welcome there I was devastated. And even though I have since enjoyed fostering piggies and looking after Martin, and I love my dogs and cat, I have missed that multi-species experience, that farm life extraordinaire.

And so I will be volunteering at Martin's new home, helping with goats and sheep and dogs and ducks and (of course) alpacas and numerous other critters, many of which are rescues.

I feel like both Martin and I are "going home".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear Martin went without much stress for either himself or you, Jean.

And that's so great you will be helping out at his new home!

Sharon

Sheryl said...

Shedding happy tears for both you and Martin!

Anonymous said...

Oh Martin, you are one brave alpaca and I am so very proud of you today. You will love your new home and be well taken care of there... and I will visit you too.

E.

Janice Gillett said...

He looks right pissed in the van , can't wait to see pictures of him happy again! Pictures jean Pictures , take your camera!! ;o))

Anonymous said...

I love the photos of handsome, regal, Martin and I am so glad we will be still seeing him from his new digs. All the best. Lynda

Jean said...

Janice, I think it was my attempt to correct the red-eye in the photo that makes him look pissed off - I made his eyes seem very dark and got the pupil off centre a bit! LOL
He was actually very relaxed and curious about his surroundings - not even making anxious sounds.

Jean said...

Martin has arrived at his destination without incident. Judy emailed to let me know that Martin was calm and quiet all the way home - he stood up in the van for about 20 seconds but sat back down right away.
When they got out of the van at Judy's place, her three female llamas flew to the fence to ogle him, while the male llama really wanted to smell him to see if he was a girl! Martin clucked at the ladies and hummed at Cas...he was very alert.

He is now bedded down in the squeeze pen for the night with a manger full of hay and a bucket of water. Tomorrow he will be introduced to the little alpacas through the fence and if he looks like he will behave he will put in with them until he joins the rest of the herd next week.

Unknown said...

is it difficult for a llama that's not had llama companionship for that long to intergrate?

i wonder if his coyote friend will miss him...

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that he had such a quiet trip and didn't pull any of Frodo's tricks.
Martin you are a true gentleman and I know you will be happy in your new home.
Jean you will have so much fun with the critters at Martin's new Island home.
I smell lots of new blog material LOL
Else

Jean said...

Paige, I don't think Martin will have much trouble integrating. He has been fine with my dogs around, even with Charley right next to him, and he was fine with the pigs. He has also had the companionship of two llamas (he is an alpaca) across the fence and has "hung out" with them. Alpacas are herd animals, and I think he will be very happy to have a herd of his own type.

Jim (Misty's lucky owner) said...

I am so happy for you Jean, heading into your retirement. Martin is so lucky to have found you and now you will both have new adventures on the island. All the best.

Knapper Alpakka said...

What a nice story. Well done!