Thursday, February 26, 2009

A wee little rant....

..... or This is why I'm retiring early!

Totally not critter related, but I just have to share this before my voiceless scream reverberates across the valley.

One of the reasons I want out of my job is because of the increasing sense of entitlement which so many youth seem to hold today. Somehow their lives are so much busier than ours and so much more stressful and WE, the instructors, are supposed to bend over backwards to accomodate them.

In severe weather conditions, students can find out if classes are cancelled from several sources, the most obvious one being the radio. At the beginning of term, students are told which radio stations will carry an announcement if my institution is closed due to weather. Today I received this email:

"...If the school is closed, not all of us listen to
the radio so I'm not sure how to find out unless you email us."


EXCUSE ME???????? I should email a class full of students because you are too friggin' lazy to turn a radio dial????????????

That takes the cake.

Okay, rant over. I will go back to staring at the phenomenally beautiful but really irritating sunshine-on-a-foot-of-snow.

5 comments:

Chasing The Dog said...

my professors in college would all totally say that. Hope you did. :)

Jean said...

Ha! If I really said that to a student, the student would probably file an "Instructional Complaint" claiming I was disrespectful.
I simply responded that it is the students' responsibility to access the information from the sources provided by the institution - in this case, radio or the university's website.

dp said...

David also teaches at UFV (communications dept) and I get to hear lots of similar rants. My teaching experience is limited to grad students, and they seem to be a little bit better.

Jean said...

OMG, dp, what a small world! I know exactly who David is, and he would certainly know me by name if not by face (and probably by face as I used to be fairly high profile around there). Just tell him my office is right across from his department head's, and to pop by and say hi!

dp said...

David suspects that you are Jean B from the media and communications department (or some such). Feel free to accost him next time you see him...