Monday, January 13, 2014

Spring is in the air!

The day dawned warm and sunny with a light breeze - a perfect January day.  Snowdrops and crocuses are popping up, buds are forming on my early lilac, and the soft grey of pussywillows tells us spring can't be far away. The dogs know it is a good day for a walk.

Mama, let's go out!

I scout out the terrain with Mitzi.  She wasn't about to stop for photos - she is a Dog on a Mission when we head to the beach.  I had just enough time to snap this shot of the pussywillows at the top of Spinnaker Steps:
Pussywillows in January


Then down we go and a brisk Mitzi-march along the seawalk.

Mama Jean, you're so slow!

Morning walk in Crofton


Just enough time to snap a few of the birds,




before heading back up to the house.  Shiloh's turn.  Shiloh likes a more leisurely pace, with time to investigate everything.
Hmmm what's this?  Who has been here?
Is anyone hiding under there?

Where now?

Let's go down here
and say hi to the seagulls!

This next shot was accidental as I was trying to set up for a bird shot.  But I laughed when I saw it.  Several blogs I follow are written by horsewomen. Many of their shots are taken from the back of a horse (or in one case a burro), and the equine's ears figure prominantly at the bottom of each photo.  So, for  all those equine bloggers out there, here is the canine version of your shots:

Ride 'em cowgirl!


Those ears figure prominently in this post, because this is what Shiloh was hearing:

Sea lion chorus line
on the shoal islands.

And it was such a beautiful day, and I still had a couple of hours to spare before bookclub, so I called Bonnie and Keaghan to join Eddie and me at Swallowfield.  I took the big camera this time, hoping for some shots of the many eagles that have been hanging around that area.  We didn't see any eagles, but I had fun with the camera anyway.

Happy Eddie

Happy Happy running
slightly-out-of-focus Eddie

Keaghan checks the fields on the estuary

Eddie takes a break

Keaghan gets the zoomies -
right towards the camera!

Zoom!

Zoomied out

Let's see if mom's got any treats. 

 As we rested above the estuary before returning home, I captured some shots of Keaghan that I think Bonnie is gonna love:

Keaghan (1)
(c) 2014 Jean Ballard

Keaghan (2)
(c) 2014 Jean Ballard

And my favourite shot of the day:

Keaghan (3)
(c) 2014 Jean Ballard

And that's just another great day on the island.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful walk and yes Jean I did love the pictures of Keaghan especially the last one.

Bonnie

EvenSong said...

Love that you recognize a "between the ears" shot, Jean!
Although the last photo of Keaghan show a little bit of mischief in his eyes, I think I like the second one best, because of his great smile!