Sunday, November 29, 2009

Barges and other sunny day scenes

Barges and birds in Osborne Bay



Out of my window looking in the night
I can see the barges flickering light.
Silently flows the river to the sea
And the barges too go silently.

Barges, I would like to go with you,
I would like to sail the ocean blue
Barges, are their treasures in your hold?
Do you fight with pirates brave and bold?

Each time I see the barges in the bay, this beautiful song from my Girl Guide days pops into my head and stays there for hours. The song, I was taught, was written by a young girl dying of cancer and confined to a bed which overlooked the river. Whether that is an urban legend or fact, I don't know. An internet search failed to reveal the author, though I did find many versions of its several verses, and most provided a similar history. The song was always one of my favourites. You can hear a beautiful rendition of it on Youtube by clicking here.

After days of rain, the amazing sunshine of Thursday and Friday, and the efforts of the sun to shine through clouds again today, is uplifting. Everything seems even more beautiful - the marina, the bay, the dogs in sunlight.

Reflections of a marina

Ducks near a dock

Dogs on a wharf

The dogs and I have been for many short walks around town and along the seawall the past few days - sometimes rushing out between showers, sometimes in brilliant sunshine. It is hard to believe that in less than a month it will be winter solstice and the daylight hours will once again begin to lengthen!

Sunshine after rain

Mist, sun, and cloud

Christmas decorations are going up everywhere and the local paper is full of announcements of Christmas shows and concerts and carol boat rides and craft fairs and light tours. The people in the house 'round the corner have put up their tree already, wreaths are appearing on doors in the neighbourhood, and strings of lights are slowly showing up on outdoor trees and along the rooflines of houses. There is always something magical about the lights and music and joy of Christmas, and I look forward to watching the Christmas season come alive in this community I now call home.

Life is good.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I was thinking that today too...only a few weeks till the days start getting longer. It'a a "glass half-full" way of looking at the short hours of daylight. Greetings from the South Cariboo! (Rupert is very fuzzy in his winter coat.)

Black Jack's Carol said...

A beautiful post, Jean! Loved the poem and the photos and your writing. The first two pictures just blew me away. Wow!