Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Endless sunshine



It’s sunny out again. And chilly. The grass in the morning has the crispness of over-gelled spiked hair on a young boy's head. I’m not complaining – I love cold frosty mornings. I especially love the morning light, which I was too busy to capture on film today – the muted blues and pinks of water and sky and mountain as the sun begins to rise. Beautiful.

No doubt the rain will return shortly, but the last few days have been a much-needed respite.

Best of all, I have found a way to guarantee sunshine all winter long.

My living room, dining room and hallways have been painted with sunshine. At last, after a series of tradespeople dissappointments - from car repair ripoffs to deck disasters - I have found an honest and skilled worker. His name is Randy, and he owns Great Dane Painting right here in Crofton. (How could I NOT hire a man who names his company after his dog? Well, that and his Danish heritage. But mostly his dog, Sapphire, a two year old great dane).

Randy’s a young guy with a young family and an excellent work ethic. Randy is professional, punctual, reliable, thorough, cheerful, tidy, and if anyone in my neck of the woods needs a painter, I highly recommend him.

So how did he paint with sunshine? I told him I wanted the room to feel like it was bathed in sunlight. Two walls are coated with textured Flexrock paint in “honey almond”, which is a lovely deep straw colour with a rough stone-like finish, and all the other walls are “filtered sunlight” – a colour which is exactly as named. I feel like I am back in the pasture on the farm on a warm sunny day.

Ahhhhhhh.........

No comments: