Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Ahh, spring!

Tulip
April 1, 2013
(c) Jean Ballard 2013
The tulips are open in the garden, the daffodils almost finished.  Four days of very warm weather brought out  all the blossoms that were just waiting to pop - fruit trees and rhodos and camellias and garden flowers too numerous to name.

 I'm switching mostly to perennial flowers this year with just a few of my very favourite veggies, so have been planting summer and fall bulbs, evergreen clematis, honeysuckle, daisies, sweat peas, as well as some starter tomato plants and another blueberry bush.  I still have some veggie seeds from last year which I will pop into big pots when I get more dirt.

Mitzi continues to do an excellent job as Chief Snoopervisor.

Ah think you should clean up this patio a bit, Mama Jean.
And add some more RED flowers, please.

Tulips in bloom
(c) Jean Ballard 2013

Inner Workings
(c) Jean Ballard 2013


That's better!
(c) Jean Ballard 2013


6 comments:

EvenSong said...

"Sweat peas"???...Yuck!

georgia little pea said...

I'm here! First to the party. Can you believe it? :)

Mitzi, I love red flowers too so well done, pushing the gardener. Jean, I think you just mentioned some of my favourite flowers. I remember trying to grow a clematis years ago in our old yard. 3 plants and they all died, one by one. Tragic. LOVE honeysuckle and sweet pea too! And marguerites. Simple but hardy and always happily flowering. A treasure for people without green fingers like me! I shall look forward to pictures of your spring and summer garden.

P.S. do you get honeysuckle perfume/balm in Canada? It was a childhood favourite and I've not been able to find that anywhere in the last 40 years!

Jean said...

Evensong - Bwahahahahaha! Dang, I always get my ee-ays and double-ees mixed up! Now....do I go back in and change it, leaving people to scratch their heads at the comment, or do I leave it.....?
GLP, I shall have a look for honeysuckle perfume/balm here, and if I can find some, I'll send it to you. Honeysuckle is a native plant here, growing all over the place.

georgia little pea said...

I wasn't first? Darn.

Ooo...it'll be something of a miracle if you find it. I can't even get the pure essential oil though they do sell a synthetic version. If it was available, it'd probably be one of those horribly expensive floral oils like neroli, rose and jasmine.

EvenSong said...

GLP--I was naughty and reading at work. Sorry to steal your "first"!

Black Jack's Carol said...

Hi Jean, I've just been catching up with your blog. Congratulations on that front page photo, and the St. Patrick's Day post was especially priceless :) I love all the photos in this most recent post, but that first tulip pretty much took my breath away. Mitzi seems to be living life just the way she likes it. Happy Spring to you and your crew!