Sunday, April 20, 2008

A morning surprise!

I was outside with the dogs at sunrise today, watching a robin in the bare oak tree in the back yard and listening to her sweet song. Suddenly I saw something drop onto the grass below. Too big for a birdy poop. Surely it wasn’t.....couldn’t be.....no way.......YES! She had dropped an egg while perched on the branch, and it had landed safely onto the soft grass below!





How amazing! There was no nest in that tree, and she sat for a while before flying away as if to say “Well, that’s that!” . One tiny blue egg, the promise of life, or simply wasted fertility? I carefully moved it out to the pasture, where it will no doubt be consumed and provide nourishment to others. Such is the way of nature.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm, you could nestle it in some blankets and hatch it in your oven. Last count I took of your family, it was missing some lovely birds... No??? Just think, Foster Mama to a baby robin. We, your readers would love to follow it's progress.

E.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jean,
Yes, I agree with E. you could be a foster mama to a baby robin. We blog readers who are bird lovers would appreciate that!
Like you don't have enough to do with all your other critters.

Lou

Jean said...

Obviously Lou and E. have never been around when I have something in the oven....inevitably I get sidetracked and forget it and it ends up just a wee bit "too well done".
Quiche, anyone?????

Anonymous said...

I think that is a great idea. If you don't trust yourself with the oven you can use a heat lamp. As for feeding the hatchling? You probably have lots of earthworms around. Just dig through the manure pile and you should hit gold (umm worms)
It will give you something to do in your spare time. LOL

Else

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,
Quiche? I love quiche, but I better bring the eggs. You're too funny!
Lou