Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A fun game with the piggies!

I wish I had a picture of this. I was closing up the barn tonight, the piggies already fast asleep in their stall, when Fizzy woke up and came running out just as I was shutting the door. I closed the door anyway, and tried to get Fizz to follow me round to the small secure potty area so he could go in through the burlap flap which covers the small piggy door without 11 other piggies all running out into the field.

His oofs and oinks woke up some of his siblings, and soon another little piggy was poking his nose under the burlap flap to see what was going on. Then the eyes appeared, then the head. At that moment I yawned and next thing I know, the piggy is yawning too! (NOTHING is as cute as a piglet doing a huge yawn!!!!).

Turns out human yawns aren't just contagious to other humans but also to piggies. Several more piglets came out, and as each emerged I yawned at them and they yawned back. Soon I had five piglets yawning at me every time I yawned at them! We played this game for about twenty minutes - one piglet after the other yawning back at me, a huge head-lifting, neck twisting yawn accompanied by a big stretch each time. In the end I was laughing so hard I couldn't yawn anymore, and by then Fizz was safely in the secure area so I stepped back and watched them disappear one by one under the burlap and back to their cozy bed.

And that was my evening's magic moment, and my daily dose of laughter. Thanks, piggies.

3 comments:

Patience-please said...

Magic indeed! And purely delightful. Thank YOU!

all the best-
Patience

Anonymous said...

A yawn is an open mouth'hello" from the pigs to you. You are one of the herd my freind..

Anonymous said...

oooh...I can't wait to see if that works on my farm pig Harry!

Joelle