Thursday, January 11, 2018

On a dark and dreary winter's day

Today was one of those miserable west coast winter days - rain, rain, rain and dark, dark, dark.  Fortunately our winter days are not cold like the days our friends back east are experiencing, and the dark and wet ones are interspersed with dry and sometimes sunny ones.  So on those rainy dark days like today I remind myself of two things - spring is just a few weeks away here on the island, and even before it arrives, there will still be magnificent moments.



I've lived in many places in BC, Alberta and the Northwest Territories, but I don't think I've ever lived any place where we so frequently have such amazing sunrises as we do on the east coast of Vancouver Island.  Often, the day will start with a wondrous display of colour and reflection and by the time most of the town is up and about, it is overcast once more.




Being the morning person that I am, and with a dog I love to walk as soon as I've had that first cup of coffee, those brief but beautiful sunrises are mine to capture, a thick slab of joy to get me through the day, a memory to draw on when the rain and darkness seems oppressive, a promise to look forward to once more in the days ahead.





This was my world morning before last;  if I'm lucky, it shall be mine again tomorrow.


1 comment:

Sheryl said...

I so enjoy your sunrise photos. Sunrises are something that I rarely see (I'm definitely not a morning person).
:)