Monday, March 1, 2010

The Princess and the Pee


Today my writer’s group ran late, so I was away from the house longer than usual. When I’m out, Oliver is crated and the other three are confined to the back part of the house (primarily so Sadie and Charley don’t feel the urge to bark ferociously at every passing person they see through the front windows).

This evening, I noticed Princess Belle wanted to go outside, but was “stuck” in the hallway, at the open babygate installed across the doorway to the mudroom. In front of her was an old sheet I throw down to help catch a small proportion of the mud the animals track in when the weather is wet.

I crossed the mudroom floor to the back door and called her, but she just stood there looking offended. Finally she squeeeeeeezed across the far end of the baby gate and tiptoed ever so cautiously across the tiny strip of vinyl flooring that peeked out around the edge of the sheet - being very careful not to let so much as a toenail touch the cotton fabric.

I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what she was doing....until I noticed the sheet had some wet spots on it that were not the result of mud being tracked in but the result of someone’s leaky bladder dribbling in anticipation of my return an hour or so earlier.

Prissy Princess Belle was NOT going to soil her precious little paws by stepping on those nasty, nasty spots.

As soon as I removed the offending sheet and replaced it with a dry one, Her Highness was happy to strut across the room in her usual Princessly style.

Seems like the little green vegetable isn't the only type of "P" a princess has to avoid.

(Don’t tell anyone, but I know who made that dribble…..Belle is the only dog in this household who walks as she pees. Charley is a poop-and-walker, but only Belle is a pee-and-walker. So the pee she was avoiding was….HER OWN!).

Who, me???

6 comments:

Patience-please said...

Oh, the sweetheart! Bless her!

Anonymous said...

Ah poor Belle. She just couldn't hold it anymore. Old age can be a B***h

Else

Anonymous said...

Oh Belle, the indignity of it all! At my house there is also a princess pee-er. Her name is Ginger Snap but she is also known fondly by nicknames such as Pee-nut, Sweet Pee, Pee-nuckle, Pee Wee, and my favourite, Pee Pod. She is not amused.

Deb S.

Anonymous said...

Well, Jean....

I guess you're just going to have to get that sheet out of her way the second she has had to use it, and replace it with a fresh one, right?

Add that to your "list of things to do" - which I imagine is quite a bit with your senior critters!

Made me laugh though, I can just picture the Princess doing her tip-toe dance around the offending sheet. Too funny!

Sharon

Black Jack's Carol said...

Funny how some pets and people seem to be born with a fastidious bent. One human I know is the sole sensitive sibling in the immediate family, although the "royal" inclination can be traced two generations back to his grandmother. Really a case for nature over nurture, I think. Dear little Princess! I hope you are sharing some of your stories with the writers' group.

Jean said...

Oh the Princess is soooo humiliated that I aired her indiscretion so publicly! Poor Belle.

Carol, I do use some of my blog entries (past and present) as grist for the writing mill - weaving them into stories that I am hoping to eventually publish as a fundraiser for a couple of my favourite rescues. I also used some of the material for an article I was asked to write for our local Crofton news, The Glance, an article about Crofton through the eyes of a newcomer. That was just published and they have asked permission to use the story of The Dog who Thought He was a Polar Bear for their next edition (its a quarterly publications). I also write other memoir type stuff and I'm tryin my hand at poetry for the writer's group. I really enjoy the ability to test out some material on other writers and receive their feedback.