Sunday, August 16, 2009

Those camera-less firsts.

I took the dogs for a quick run this morning, and didn't bother with the camera. When will I stop doing that????
For the first time since I've been here, the tide was soooooo far out the dock by the RV park was totally on dry land, it was sooooooo far out one could walk all the way around the point, it was soooooo far out it looked like one could practically wade across to Saltspring Island!

For the first time, I saw a jellyfish on the beach. I don't know how it compares internationally, but the jellyfish I saw when I was a child living near the beach were only a couple of inches across, at most, and transparent. This was a good foot across and bright red! Ohhhhh to have had my camera!

For the first time a murder of crows - fifty or sixty at least - darkened the sky overhead and then landed in the trees right beside me, from which they proceeded to chuck down maple wings and branches and pieces of leaf. What a picture that would have been!

For the first time, I saw TWO herons standing side by side in the surf, discussing the liklihood of finding fish with the tide so low, herons that didn't fly away when the dogs and I approached. I've often seen herons, but seldom together in the surf, and never as close as today.

For the first time this year, I noticed the maple trees have turned red, and with the morning sun their scarlet coats reminded me of the scarlet jackets of last weekend's RCMP Musical Ride.

And sadly, for the first time, Sadie was barely able to make it back to the house. She has been increasingly tired lately (she was supposed to have bloodwork last week, but it was postponed to this coming Tuesday), but this is the first time I thought I might have to call for help. We made it home at Oliver-pace, and she is now sleeping soundly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I didn't know Sadie was slowing down, I hope all will be o.k.

I know Charley, Belle and Oliver are all seniors, but I thought Sadie was just a youngish-senior.....

The old-dog pace is a difficult transiton (for us) when our bouncy energetic dogs slow down.

Please keep us posted about Sadie.

Hugs,
Sharon

Jean said...

Sharon, Sadie is thought to be about 10 now, so she is the youngest of my four. However, she's also the biggest so 10 years for her is probably equal to about 15 for the shelties.
She is hypothyroid, though, so I suspect her meds may need adjusting. I'm having her bloodwork sent to the expert - Dr. Jean Dodds at Hemopet in the U.S. They do the most thorough job (for very little more than the labs charge here) and also take into account the dog's breed, age, etc. when determining what is a "normal" reading.
An hour after we got home, she was quite determined to come back out with me and quite disappointed when I made her stay home.

Janice Gillett said...

If i lived there I would spend all day saving things on that beach.

Hope Sadie like you said just needs a change in her meds.

Black Jack's Carol said...

What a day, Jean!

I'm hoping with you that a med adjustment will be the answer for Sadie.

Some red maple leaves have been showing up here as well.

Lots of juvenile herons around, and they do seem to be less shy than I remember from other years. You may get a second chance to record a second look at some of those firsts:)

Interesting about the crows. Their behavior here was unusual on Saturday.