Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Good Life



It was nearly dark as the dogs and I made our way along the seawall tonight, though we are no later than we have been most nights. It is almost fall, and the signs are everywhere. The Indian Bean tree in my neighbour’s yard is draped with long green beans, the flowers a mere summer memory.



The same neighbour gives me a bag of tomatoes from her garden, and I give her a bag of apples from mine. The plum tree near the start of the seawall has dropped its fruit, now rotting on the ground, and the feral cats and their kittens who live in the shrubs along the foreshore are licking the juice and nibbling the flesh. The leaves of the maples seem to have turned yellow overnight.




The day was warm, and so I wander past houses with lights on but windows and drapes open to let in the cool night breezes. I snoop. It is like peering into a dozen little doll houses, the mama and papa dolls in their armchairs in the living room, the children playing on the floor at their feet, the baby in its crib.

Summer visitors have abandoned their ocean-front spots in the RV park at the end of the seawall. Though never a busy town even in the height of summer, the exodus is sudden and apparent. It is quiet, it is peaceful, it is home.

I love to walk the beach as darkness falls, watching the lights of the boats and the ferry dock reflect across the water, listening to the gulls making their last evening calls “Time to come home, time to come home”.

I have not yet learned to photograph at night – my pictures turn out fuzzy or streaky, yet I like them nonetheless.







I have already chosen one or two photography courses from the community brochure that appeared at my door – a good fall time activity, now that I am retired, being a student instead of being a teacher. Have I mentioned I love retirement?

New colours replace old, permanent residents outnumber the tourists, new opportunities to learn emerge, new sounds and sights and smells herald the arrival of autumn. The circle of life, unfolding as it should.

It is a good life I live, in a beautiful world. Contentment fills my soul.

6 comments:

Janice Gillett said...

Is there any one working for the feral cat population over there Jean?

Spay and nueter trap and release, providing food??

Jean said...

Janice, I understand that Cowichan Cat Rescue, who do a great job here with TNR, have been unable to get permission from the owner of the property to trap the cats. His property is on the waterfront, backed by bush, and when he tosses cat kibble from his deck, I have seen as many as 30 or 40 cats come running to feed. I'm sure there are many more that don't come out until dark. He does feed them - just won't have them trapped/neutered/returned.

Patience-please said...

Goodness I love your life! Thank you for sharing it so deliciously.

Anonymous said...

Janice Jean is right, the Cowichan Cat Rescue has TNR all the feral living behind the grocery store. they now feed them and make sure they have warm places to sleep in winter. This guy on the beach will not "get with the program" Everyone has tried talking to him but it's like talking to a blank wall.
Else

Janice Gillett said...

What an idiot and what about talking to the city ?

Jean said...

Janice, given the battle we are having with the city over the gas box (about which I shall post more soon), I don't think they will look too kindly to my raising another issue. LOL
Since North Cowichan doesn't have a max on the number of cats you can have or require licensing of cats etc., I don't think there's much that can be done.