Sunday, February 17, 2008

A beautiful morning!



A clear blue sky, a touch of frost, crisp fresh air, sunshine, birds singing everywhere, green shoots just beginning to show – it is a beautiful morning!

Last night, I was outside with Caleb at 2:30 AM and it was a beautiful night – stars shining, bright moon, promise of a fine day to come…..and the hauntingly beautiful hoot of an owl in the old tree in the pasture. I’m so glad Caleb woke me to ask to go out – thank you for a magic moment with you, my boy.

This morning Caleb declined any broth (which contained his meds and herbs) and didn’t even want to lick out my oatmeal bowl, but he helped himself to some water a couple of hours ago and so far it has stayed down.

And then he ran to the gate for a walk in the pasture with me and the other dogs. There is life and a spirit of fun in my sick boy yet: he immediately trotted over to the alpaca poop, looked at it, and ran straight back to me to check my pocket for a treat -- we have been working on his instant recall and “leave it” commands by using treats on our walks for the past month.

He ate a tiny crumb of a treat, but refused another one at the end of our walk and headed straight back indoors to lie down.

I think I have to trust his judgment of what he can handle and what he can’t, and to give him the freedom to live and to die in his own way, and as far as possible in his own time. That isn’t as heartless as it sounds – I will continue to try to get him to take his remedies but I will not force them on him; nor will I let him suffer pain, and he and I will create many memories together these next few days.

It is indeed a beautiful morning when dog and human live in harmony and enjoy whatever precious moments they may have together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have been thinking about you and Caleb all day and had you in my prayers -- I hope today was a good day for you both.

Thanks for keeping us posted about Caleb, and have to say I also loved the photo of little old Belle, looks like she might have been giving you the bossy-Sheltie bark-bark-bark!!

Sharon