Wednesday, May 4, 2022

A Convocation of Eagles

 ♫♫  If you go down to the beach today, you're sure of a big surprise! 
        If you go down to the beach today, you better go in disguise. 
       For every eagle for miles around, is in the air and down on the ground. 
      Today's the day, the eagles are here for a picnic! ♫♫



The midshipman fish have arrived - the females laying the eggs among the rocks in the water, the males guarding them until they mature.  And lots of midshipman fish in the shallows of the outgoing tide mean lots of eagles ready to pounce.  


It happens every year at this time, and I have often seen dozens of eagles in a very small area, all hopping and strutting, flying and fluttering about as they eat their way through the midshipman fish buffet. 



Today, I had Maggie with me so I didn't go anywhere near them. But I also had the good camera with the telephoto lens so even from about 300 yards away I was able to get a few shots, though they were almost out of range.  Still, some of the images had 40-50 eagles in a single shot. 

Yeah, right.  I'm  much more photogenic and a whole lot closer too!

Just sittin' here quietly, watching a bunch of dumb birds. 

Tomorrow, if the rain holds off  when the tide is falling, I'll head down there without Maggie, park myself on a rock about 50 - 75 yards away, and try for some better shots.  






The weather forecast doesn't look great, but perhaps I'll get lucky.  There are few things more thrilling to me than sitting among dozens of these majestic birds as they skillfully fill their bellies at the edge of the surf. 

There are few things more thrilling to me than filling my belly! 
 Is it dinner time yet? Let's go home. 




2 comments:

Marie said...

That's right, Maggie, first things first! You have to admit though that an eagle is a very majestic bird and he has to eat too.

Mark said...

That is a lot of eagles, I have never seen that many in 1 place. We have a few that hang around the landfill, but not that many maybe 5 or 6. It looks a bit windy there, Maggie looks a bit windswept. No wonder she wants to go home for dinner.

Stay safe.
Mark, Del & Lady May