Thursday, February 28, 2019

The sandpiper who thought he was an ostrich

There are always sandpipers along our beach, and I love watching the flocks race around, fly in aerodynamic precision, and generally stick together in all kinds of weather.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to photograph a very large flock sitting huddled together in cold, windy weather on a little strip of sandbar at low tide:


They are lovely little birds, and I focused in closer on a few along the shore:


I tend to put the camera on "continuous shoot" for living creatures so I can capture minute movements and unexpected actions. It continues shooting many times per second as long as I have my finger on the button.  It often isn't until I look at the photos on the computer that I see things I couldn't catch with the human eye.  Like this little guy, who thought he was an ostrich*:








(*To set the record straight, ostriches don't really bury their heads in the sand.  But they dig holes in the sand to make a nest for their eggs, then stick their heads in the holes to turn the eggs several times a day: thus the illusion of burying their heads in the sand! In the above picture, I suspect the sandpiper was merely trying to grab some tasty morsel from the shallows of sand and water along the shoreline.)

4 comments:

CarolineA said...

LOL. Kinda wish we could have seen what was so very tasty.
How is Maggie doing?

Jean said...

Maggie is doing fine, thanks, Caroline. Her leg is pretty much healed other than a few areas where the skin still needs to 'toughen up', the cone is off, and her only complaint now is that the beach is closed to dogs for the next two months for the Brant Geese migration. Oh, and she did have a doggy flu or something this week, so had to fast for 24 hours which she didn't think was fun. Seems fine now though.

Jean said...

Heads up to those trying to comment. Some of you (users of Google Plus) won't be able to do so. Others - like me - get the verification pictures showing up over and over and over and over (sometimes just adding new ones, other times telling you to 'try again') - I tried fifteen times and finally gave up, then clicked 'publish' anyway, and it did. So try once, then ignore the repeat ones.

Mark said...

Hi Jean. Glad Maggie is getting better.It's only politicians who bury their heads in the sand, guess it makes it easier for them to talk out of their backsides.