Saturday, February 23, 2019

A note to my regular blog readers

Recently I received an email from Google and then a notice posted on Blogger re some changes that may affect the blog if my readers or myself use Google Plus.  I don't have a clue what they mean (I'm on Google + on my tablet, but only on plain google on my laptop as far as I can tell).  I tried following their directions for saving any photos and comments, but didn't understand them, and don't have room on my laptop for storing over 10 years of blog posts and tens of thousands of blog photos or comments (I do have the photos stored on my own computer and backup harddrives, but not within the blog posts).  So....just a head's up that it is quite possible that some posts, some photos, and some comments - or even my whole blog template - may disappear.  I'm not interested in learning a completely different platform like Wordpress, so it is what it is.  As I saw no visible change to the blog on the announced date of Feb 4, I'm hoping I am safe, but the final consequence won't be known until March sometime, possibly April (according to the most recent email on the topic).   Here's what was posted by Blogger on the Blogger site: 

Following the announcement of Google+ API deprecation scheduled for March 2019, a number of changes will be made to Blogger’s Google+ integration on 4 February 2019. 
Google+ widgets: Support for the '+1 Button', 'Google+ Followers' and 'Google+ Badge' widgets in Layout will no longer be available. All instances of these widgets will be removed from your blog. 
+1 buttons: The +1/G+ buttons and Google+ share links below blog posts and in the navigation bar will be removed. 
Please note that if you have a custom template that includes Google+ features, you may need to update your template. Please contact your template supplier for advice. 
Google+ Comments: Support for Google+ comments will be turned down, and all blogs using Google+ comments will be reverted back to using Blogger comments. Unfortunately, comments posted as Google+ comments cannot be migrated to Blogger and will no longer appear on your blog. 
As I said, I'm not interested in learning a different blog platform or trying to figure this out, so there is a chance this will be the end of my blogging career. I'll try to post a blog or photo at least once a week to see if things are still working - but I won't know if the comments are working unless you comment (I will still moderate them, so even if they are working it could take a day before they show up). 
Edited to add: I have noticed a significant lack of response and/or views for the last post I put up ("House Arrest"), so it is possible that it has already been affected. 

6 comments:

MrsB said...

Please don't give up blogging. I hope you have a reader who can help you navigate this. I wonder if just using plain old Google on your tablet and option.

EvenSong said...

Reading what they sent you, I don't think you have to worry. It looks like only features that you *could* add from Google+ are affected, but it doesn't sound like you *have* used those features....

Mark said...

I don't think this is going to affect you much either Jean. I don't use Google to comment on anything or even use my Google account much, only really for stuff on my android phone where I have no choice. Before everyone tells me to get an Apple phone, no thanks they are worse. This is why I use Linux, not having the big 3 tell me what I can and Can't use.

Jean said...

It seems to mostly be affecting people who try to comment - I've had emails from two regular readers, one who always comments, to say they can no longer comment. We'll see what further changes March and April bring.

Caroline A said...

I know very well how much time it takes to blog, to edit photos and you have been doing this a long time, I understand your reluctance to learn a new system and how maybe you want to just adventure with Maggie instead.
However, I hope you know how much your blogs would be missed. And not only by me! You have a fan club out there Jean!

Sheryl said...

I hope you can continue on with the Blog. I don't always comment, but I do always read it.

On the days you post, it is a bright spot in my day.