Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A morning walk with Oliver



A couple of months ago, on the advice of my new vet, I put my dogs on Recovery SA instead of the glucosamine hydrochlorate supplement they had been receiving. (Recovery SA contains glucosamine hydrochlorate in addition to other supplements which aid joint movement).

Oliver is not the most arthritic of my dogs - that would be Belle - but he did show signs of stiffness and a reluctance to walk very far.

That all changed within about two weeks of starting him on Recovery.

He began to look forward to his walks. He used to manage a block or two at a Very Slow Pace. We slowly increased both the distance and the pace, and now he is trotting right along beside me, and walking further every day. Today at sunrise we found ourselves at the far end of the seawalk - almost as far as Charley and Sadie routinely go - and Oliver, for the first time, stepped down onto the beach to explore the shells and seaweed and salt water.



We could not have asked for a nicer day - crisp, clean morning air filled our lungs as we watched the sun rise on the water and the world awaken once again.

A new ship pulled into the mill yesterday, ready to accept its heavy cargo, and the sun shone on its white face:




As I watched the commuters disembark from the Saltspring Island ferry, I couldn't help but notice the rising sun reflecting on the mountains of the mainland's North Shore:








And looking to the south-east, I see Mt. Baker rising from the horizon in watercolor hues of pink and purple:



I wonder how many places afford views of such beautiful mountains in two different countries at the same time?

We wandered some more, noting how the high tides had changed the landscape. Yesterday, this large log, an escapee from a boom, was perched precariously on the berm going out to the private wharf










But today it was level, floating in the water as the high tide ebbed. Will it float away on the tide, or will I find it perched precariously once again when the seawater that surrounds it has receded once more?

On the way home I caught a glimpse of orangey-red in the bush - a robin! Though I suspect they live here year round, traditionally they are considered one of the first signs of spring. I had little luck capturing him with the camera, but if you look closely you will see the the brown and red blur amidst the leaves:




And more signs of spring - the first primrose blooming in my garden!



So far, it has been a mild winter, and some flowers have never stopped blooming, like these orange ones whose name I do not know. I suspect they are weeds as they multiply so profusely!!



And now the sun is fully up in the clear blue sky. A good morning to take down the Christmas lights. It will be a perfect afternoon for our Wednesday Walk.

Amazing day. Amazing dogs. Amazing life.





6 comments:

turtlegardens said...

Oh DoG am I in the wrong place! That primrose just about did me in - it is -25 this morning. The dogs wont leave the comfort of the wood stove. What a beautiful place you live in!! Can I retire yet?

Anonymous said...

Crystal is on Recovery SA too - has been for a couple of years now and I remember quite an improvement when she first started as well. There's a human version of Recovery and I should likely go on it for my bad ankle!

Loved your photos as always, esp. Mt. Baker - one of my favorite places on earth to visit or just look at.

Sharon

Sheryl said...

I absolutely love the last photo of the North Shore Mountains. It looks as if they are just hanging in the sky, unattached to the earth at all. What a lovely picture.

EvenSong said...

Oh Jean!! You do taunt us with your talk of "spring"! As TG said, we're still in the throes of winter here in central WA state. We had 5-6 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday, that thawed a bit today, and is now refreezing, making both walking and driving treacherous.

Love your photos of mountains meeting the sea. Lovely!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean - we truly do live in a little piece of paradise don't we?? Loved the picture of Oliver walking on the beach and the one of Sadie and Charley so posed for the camera. Your photos are just beautiful. This camera was clearly the best one for you. Possum and I are still hoping you will be able to come up and visit some day soon. Happy New Year - Katherine and Possum xo

Anonymous said...

Jean I think the yellow flowers ar Calendeula (sp)They are used to make a healing cream. Wonderful stuff.
Now that Oliver is walking so well a whole new world is opening up for him.

Else