Saturday, September 19, 2020

Testing, testing, testing

This week I bought a new pocket camera - a Sony DSC-HX99,  basically the same as my last three pocket cameras, just a newer model with a few more features.  With camera in hand, I headed to the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre.

I chose this place to test out the camera because much of my photography involves dogs, birds and other moving targets, often some distance away. NIWRC would guarantee the presence of animals and birds to photograph, and for some the zoom and the 'continual shoot' mode would be needed. Plus it is one of my favourite local places and I wanted to renew my annual pass which had just expired.

Not all the residents at NIWRC are in enclosures.
I happened to notice this guy watching me from a tree on the grounds.

After stopping to say hello to Wobbles the owl and Dougal the blind raven, I took a number of shots of Casey, a bald eagle whose badly dislocated and irreparable wing (oh how I identify with that!) meant he could not be released to the wild.  Casey was feeling quite perky - hopping around his enclosure, curious about this person with the black box in front of her face.  He was quite willing to show off the lovely detail in his feathers:



Next, I visited Farley, who has a lovely new enclosure built in which he is quite at home.  Farley is one of my favourites (of course, I say that about all the permanent residents there!), as he always looks so wise and interested, as if he is thinking hard about the humans who come to visit.


I checked out King Alfred, the golden eagle, and Elvis, the Swainson's Hawk.  Elvis seemed to be doing a little dance for me, and I realized I need to figure out how to focus on something beyond the enclosure's wires - I obviously don't have the settings quite right yet!



It must have been a dancing day for the birds, because this raven (Loki or Thor, I'm not sure which) put on quite the show for me, bobbing and hopping and wiggling his/her booty while travelling back and forth along a 3-4 foot pole near the top of the enclosure. 



Next were the Indian runner ducks.  If I had acreage again, I would have runner ducks!  So amusing, so fun to watch, with their upright bodies and penguin-like fast-paced waddle.  And they always look to me like they are smiling 😀.


A new addition are some silkie chickens, most with their big hairdos and floofy feet that look like they are wearing giant fluffy bedroom slippers.  While I'm pretty sure they aren't wild birds, they are apparently providing eggs for the diets of other birds and animals at the centre.  

This one didn't have the big hairdo of the others (is this one maybe a rooster?),
but was willing to show me the floofy feet.

One of the silkies was incredibly curious about my camera, coming right up to the wire in front of me and sticking his/her beak through to investigate.  I  was careful not to get too close or I would have some chicken-pecked scratches on my brand new lens!


And then my 'zen' place - the turtle pond, where one can sit for hours entertained by the many turtles, both red-eared sliders and western painted turtles, as well as their co-residents, the ducks, and whatever other birds might choose to stop by on their way to wherever they are going.  


Such a beautiful blue on the wing!

We hit it at bath time - the ducks were splishing and splashing and having quite a time - making a very suitable challenge for me to capture a good shot.  They seemed determined to take turns bathing in such a way that whatever one I focused on would stop splashing and the ones out of my focal point would start.  When I moved to focus on that one, they stopped and another would start.  My reflexes need some work, I think!



Excuse me! Could I have some privacy here?!!!

And then the turtles....so fun to photograph as they laze about on logs, occasionally slipping into the water and clambering back up again, sometimes right on top of another turtle.

I love the little leg stretch! 

When the log isn't long enough, just clamber up on top of a buddy!





This next one isn't a great picture, but I laughed as I took it:

If people fret about getting all their ducks in a row,
do ducks fret about getting all their turtles in a row?


And this - from a photographer's point of view, this is my very favourite shot of the day:


I'm happy with the new camera, though I do wish they still came with print manuals - the 'downloadable' pdf one is 551 pages long! Who can print off that many pages and who wants to lug it around?  I suppose Sony assumes everyone has access to it online on their smartphone, but I have no smartphone.  There's still some of us old-school Luddites around, spending mega-bucks on cameras that we have to learn to use by trial and error. 

I'm on a fast learning curve on this one, because tomorrow I'm heading out on a two-week camping and hiking trip with my Monday hiking buddy (who, thankfully, has a self-contained camper van).  We'll be going up island and have a long list of trails to check out.  The fish are running, so we're sure to see bears, as well as many birds and other critters - I'm hoping for some great shots.

My sister-in-law is staying at my place with Maggie while I'm away.  Maggie has spent the last  few days teaching her everything she needs to know:  

Next,  ya gotta give me a treat!
Hurry up, will ya?

I'll be off the grid most of the time I'm away, so there will be no blog posts for at least two weeks and likely three or more - I expect to have lots of photos to edit when I return!

Stay safe. 





3 comments:

EvenSong said...

With a little practice, you’ll be right back in the swing of things, Jean! Love it!

Black Jack's Carol said...

I guess the zoom is working well because you have lots of great close-ups, Jean! And yes, that one turtle really is a winner. I hope you have perfect weather for camping and hiking. Looking forward to the photos for sure!

Marie said...

An interesting and informative read this morning and I hope my comment gets to you. Lately I've been having a problem with posting comments here. Rest assured though, Jean, I've loved each one of your posts.
Enjoy your time up-Island, I look forward to reading about your adventure, stay safe.