Sunday, March 4, 2018

The new dog in town

I've been too busy lazy to work on a post lately, though I have lots of photos and adventures to share.  But here on Vancouver Island, spring keeps beckoning me - get outside and enjoy nature when the sun is shining, stay indoors and spring clean (or at least declutter and organize) when it's raining. 

My plan yesterday was to put together a post on our rather unstable weather of the last couple of weeks, and what we did and where we went in rain, sun, snow and wind.  Instead, I went down to the park in the sunny but cool weather and did a photoshoot of a good friend's newest family member, Blaze.



Blaze is an American Cocker Spaniel, nine years old.  At one time he earned his championship.  Not all dogs who are adopted at an older age come from shelters or rescues.  Breeders, even the best breeders, age like the rest of us, or succumb to serious illnesses, or both.  And sometimes that means they can no longer look after the dogs in their care.  When that happens, the breed club often steps up to the plate, arranging fosters and eventual adoptions.  Working through breed clubs is a good way to find an adoptable older dog of a breed that isn't often found in shelters in Canada - or at least, not in my area of Canada. 



Through asking for recommendations of responsible breeders, then networking, being patient, and engaging in phone calls and emails asking and answering questions, my friends were able to find the kind of dog they wanted.  And I was able to have a new subject to photograph on a sunny Saturday afternoon.



Welcome to Crofton, Blaze.  I hope I'll get to see you (and your new mom, of course) a whole lot.  Maggie and I know some great hiking trails you may enjoy!


2 comments:

Marie said...

Welcome to Blaze, I hope Maggie has a new friend. Nice to see the sunshine in your area once again. We have piles of snow where Sparkle and I live! Oh, for Spring!

Sheryl said...

Lots of snow where I live, too. I envy you your Spring weather.