Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Paws for a Cause!

In tight economic times, many businesses and people struggle, but it is the humans and animals whose lives depend on the nonprofits who suffer most of all.

There are so many worthwhile nonprofit societies, all scrambling for funding, trying to keep themselves afloat so they can help the animals that humankind has abandoned, neglected, abused, or simply tossed aside. Rescue societies like Turtle Gardens and sanctuaries like Hearts on Noses, need and deserve our help. (To help either Turtle Gardens or Hearts on Noses, just click on their name in the preceding sentence to link to their website and look for the “donate” button. And don’t forget to vote daily in the Shelter Challenge – Turtle Gardens is now Number Three in Canada!).

Now that I am retired, my financial resources are significantly reduced so my ability to personally help such organizations is dependent on action – what I can do to help raise funds rather than what I can donate to them personally.

As part of my commitment to getting involved in my community and to helping local animals, I have registered for the SPCA Paws for a Cause. Sadie and I will be walking with a team of others in this province-wide event, and the funds our team raises will go directly to the Cowichan Valley SPCA. Contrary to what some people believe, the SPCA is not funded by government – it relies on donations and competing for grants like every other nonprofit animal shelter.

Allie came from the Abbotsford SPCA. Sadie came to me through the joint efforts of Okanagan Collie Rescue and the Quesnel SPCA. And my sweet Caleb came to me from the Cowichan Valley SPCA.

I have nothing but praise for the Cowichan Valley SPCA - the caring staff and volunteers give their hearts to the animals in their care, and the shelter is one of the best run, most active, dynamic SPCAs I have ever visited . But, like all shelters, they need funds.

And so I am asking you, my readers, to please consider reaching deep into your pockets to sponsor me for the Paws for a Cause walk, and to ask your friends and family to sponsor me also. You will find my personal page here, where you can sponsor me online and receive an immediate receipt for tax purposes. If you hesitate to make a contribution online, please email me at the link on the side of my blog and I can give you an address to which a cheque or money order can be sent.

Because I absolutely hate asking people for money, I have set a very modest goal for this walk, just $200, Please help me reach or surpass that goal by donating whatever you are able. Every penny is greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your fund raise Jean and Sadie.

Else