Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Special Visitor, by Oliver



Once upon a time I lived with another mama. I’ll call her Mama K. Mama K., through no fault of her own, was no longer able to take care of me. That’s when I came to live with Mama Jean.

But Mama K. had loved me from the time I was just a young pup. She had walked me and groomed me and played with me and fed me and most of all, she had loved me. And on that sad day when she realized she could no longer care for me and we took that boat ride to meet Mama Jean, Mama K cried.

You see, love isn’t a light switch that you can turn on and off. When you love something or someone, really love them, unconditionally love them, you love them forever. But sometimes you just can’t take care of them forever even though you really, really, really, really want to.

Some people think that once you have surrendered a dog, you should never have any contact with the dog again, nor be given any information about his or her new life.

My Mama Jean doesn’t think like that. Oh, if you couldn’t be bothered to look after the dog, or if you surrendered it for trivial reasons, or if you abused it, or if you traded in the old dog for a puppy, or if you sent it away ‘cuz the kids left home and you want to travel......well, then she’s not so sympathetic. But if you did those things, you didn’t really love your dog even if you thought you did.

But when you have to say goodbye to a dog because you can no longer care for it through circumstances not of your own making, when you have to say goodbye to a dog even though your heart is breaking and it’s the hardest thing you’ve ever done, well, there is an invisible leash that leads from your heart to your dog’s, an invisible leash so strong that it is never broken.

That invisible leash is love. And just like my Mama Jean continues to see her Emma, today my Mama K. came to see me.

I remember that scent – the scent of love. And while my doggy alzheimer’s and my funny little behaviours don’t allow me to jump all over her in excitement, I did stick close to her for a while and let her pet me and groom me and talk to me, before I wandered back over to Mama Jean. I didn't make strange at all, because I remember Mama K. and I remember that love.

Sadie thinks Mama K. is pretty special too – or maybe it was the really, really, really yummy doggy bakery treats she brought us. Sadie knew there were treats the minute Mama K. stepped into the house – silly Sadie, you’re not supposed to snoop in visitor’s bags! We all got lots of treats, even Mama Jean (she got people treats, not doggy ones!), and we had a lovely visit.

Thanks for coming, Mama K. I hope we see you again soon.

Love, Oliver

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes my love, i will see you again soon....thanx Jean

Hugs and Kisses on the nose

Janice Gillett said...

((((( hugs))))) to Moms!!