Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Winter Walk in Crofton

Calm waters on a winter's afternoon

There isn't a day goes by that I don't think how very lucky I am to live in Crofton.  As I watch news reports from around BC and across Canada, and see highways closed and communities flooded, I'm thankful I spend my winters in the most moderate climate in Canada.  Even within my own geographic area, we are in a little micro-climate - twenty minutes away there will be snow, sometimes lots of it, while we have had less than an inch of slush this winter, gone within hours.  ( Touch Wood.  I don't want to jinx things!).

No snow here!

Most winter days, we do get a bit of rain and lots of cloud, but we also get bursts of sunshine on a regular basis. It is rare that I have to walk the dogs in pouring rain -  light drizzle I can handle.  The saying  "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes" has been very true here this year.

Yesterday, for only the second time in a year, I decided to skip the second (afternoon) set of dog walks - it was driving rain, sleet, dark, and cold. The dogs had gone for a lovely long morning walk and they were as reluctant as I to head out in a storm.  But today dawned bright and dry and away we went.  This afternoon was even nicer.  Calm waters, mild enough to wear my gortex jacket instead of my winter coat - I grabbed the dogs and my camera and headed off for the beach again.

The marine on a January afternoon


The birds prefer the drier days to pouring rain too, and there were lots along the shoreline today.

Bufflehead duck

Mallards along the shore


A poor photo, but I've been trying  all week to capture
this kingfisher who lives along the shoreline by the new seawalk.
(She's on the railing!)

Oystercatchers catching oysters


I was enjoying the way the light appeared through the pilings of the ferry dock,


Late afternoon light shines through the pier

when suddenly a heron flew straight up from the bank below me, practically knocking me over with his incredible wingspan.  I recovered only just in time to snap these shots as he flew away.





And as the sky turned pink with the setting sun, we headed home - another winter's walk that feels like spring,  tucked away in our memories.


4 comments:

georgia little pea said...

Crofton. I might have to pack my bags. The microclimate sounds perfect.

I love that series of heron shots! The circle with the reflection is gorgeous.

Deborah Strong said...

Beautiful photos, Jean. Love the oystercatchers!

Deb S

Karen said...

Oh stop it! You'll be posting pictures of pussy willows and crocus new week..enough with the torment, Jean. :)
Most snow I've ever seen in the Cariboo this year. Our most recent TG dog is an adolescent hooligan who challenges me every day, but he has come light years since last May. Rupert says hello! Happy New Year!

Dawn said...

Lovely photos, Jean. Especially the ones of the heron. Love the reflection in the water. Your sister is proud of what you have done with her cameras, I am sure.