Thursday, January 3, 2013

Winston and friends

Winston
In foster care with Kimberly
for Hearts on Noses Mini Pig Sanctuary
(c)  Jean Ballard 2013

Yesterday I decided I needed a piggy-fix, and headed out to Kimberly's place in the hills around Duncan.  Kimberly is one of our foster homes for Hearts on Noses pig sanctuary.  Piggy Sue and Sophie Lyn were snuggled deep in straw, but her newest foster, Winston, came running to meet us.  He is, I think, about 18 months old, and reminds me so much of the ten young ones I fostered, especially Rob Roy, Whisper, and Fizzy who used to follow me everywhere.

Winston's beautiful face

Winston was once an indoor pig, but became too pushy with the kids in the family and lost his home.  He has adjusted well to his cosy straw-and-blanket filled outdoor house,  and likes to go for walks about the farm, checking out the barn for hay and alfalfa.  He is very social, comes when called, and loves to follow Kimberly in the hopes of getting a scratch and some treats.

Kimberly and Winston take a walk
(c) Jean Ballard 2013

Kimberly and Winston
(c) Jean Ballard 2013

Winston sits for a treat
(c) Jean Ballard 2013

Winston is also quite comfortable with the ducks, and checks out their bowls and water dishes for tidbits they might have missed.  The ducks, too, are quite tame - you may remember the wee little ducklings from a September  visit, which I wrote about here.  They are all grown up now, and wander around with the other ducks who were already living at the farm when Kimberly became mom to the orphaned hatchlings.

Hey, ducky, didya leave me sumthin?


He's such a pig!

Duckies all grown up

One of the dogs stuck his head out to say hello,

Dog Door
(c) Jean Ballard 2013

And the cat wandered by as well,



And soon it was time to say goodbye.

The End
Thanks, Kimberly, for once again letting me get my piggy fix!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these... What great pics. of these adorable animals! Those pigs are too cute.
Wendy

georgia little pea said...

Your friend lives such a idyllic life. It's like a movie. That dog door shot is so good :) and Winston getting a rub and treat awww. I am putty.

Got the yogurt thing worked out yet? x

Dawn said...

The dog door shot is worthy of entry in the Cowichan Exhibition, Jean.

I have never known any piggies, so find these entries very interesting.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures of Winston. He is such a special little being and full of personality...or is that pigonality? The more I get to know pigs, the more I like them.
I invite you to come over one day and we will play with the horses and show you natural horsemanship. Wonderful way to interact with a horse.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely place and so full of happy animals.

Else

Roxane L. said...

Great pictures, thank you for sharing them. I hope Winston gets his forever home soon.