Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Alarmdog is broken!

Belle always, always, always wakes me up just before 5:00 to go out. Always. Never fails.

This morning a few of us from the Wednesday Walking group were meeting at 6:00 AM for a sunrise walk at Swallowfield (This week's Wednesday walk had been cancelled due to the extreme heat, which didn't let up even in the evening).

I never even thought about setting my alarm clock - I haven't used it since I retired. With a reliable alarmdog like Belle, who needs an annoying buzz jarring one out of sleep?

So what happened this morning? You guessed it - my alarmdog didn't alarm. I awoke just after 6 AM to find Belle still sleeping soundly in the livingroom. And since it takes time for me to get moving (literally - arthritis in the morning is a bummer), and to feed everyone and make sure the little dogs have had time to do their business, there was no way I could fly out the door to meet the others.

I'd like to think that my alarmdog was just having a comfortable sleep with the slightly cooler temperatures of the past 24 hours.

I suspect, though, that The Princess knew only the big dogs go on the hikes and She wasn't about to have Her morning routines disrupted.

I'm betting tomorrow morning, she'll be back to waking me up at five.

3 comments:

Black Jack's Carol said...

One smart dog, Ms Belle is. I'm sorry you missed the walk, but know you will enjoy the day. Looking forward to hearing all about it:)

(Have you ever thought of trying Sierrasil for arthritis?)

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful peaceful walk Jean. You would have loved it. But it is close and many more summer mornings to watch the sun creap over the meadow and river.
I'll have Tess or Archie talk to your alarmdog about her duty.

Else

Jean said...

Carol, thanks for the tip re Sierrasil - I hadn't heard of it but I found out from their website that my health food store over here carries it, so perhaps I'll give it a try. I am on prescription meds for it, but they don't seem to make too much of a difference!