Saturday, May 30, 2009

Why the Dogs Didn't Get their Pasture Run this morning:



There is a sloth of bears in this area this year (yes, I checked, a group of bears is called a sloth or a sleuth!!!). In the last ten days the neighbours and I have seen a mama with triplets, a HUGE male bear (the largest I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of bears!), and this one, who appears to be either another adult female or a young male.

Bears don't usually share territory, but the plethora of development projects in this area may well have forced some out of their customary habitat. Cubs generally stay with the mama for about two years, after which they are chased off to make their own way in the world. The one in the photo above might be the remaining one of triplets born two years ago.

3 comments:

Janice Gillett said...

They are so beautful!!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful sight to see first thing in the morning.
I envy you.

Else

sobe said...

they would scare the living daylights out of me! I am petrified of bears!
wonder if they will come closer now that Martin is gone.

Caroline