Friday, May 29, 2009

Oh, Oliver!

Last spring, I took many photos of each of my dogs amidst bright yellow flowers in the pasture. They are among my favourite photos. Oliver, however, did not come to live with me until fall and so this morning's goal was to photograph Oliver in fields of yellow.

Ha! Never set a photographic goal where an animal is concerned. I once said it was not possible to get a "bad" photo of Oliver - he is so photogenic and so willing a subject. Famous Last Words.

This morning's collection of "Oliver in Flowers" consists of several out of focus, too close, too far away, too hidden, or just plain "where's oliver gone?" photos. Oliver, it seems, decided this was a morning for the zoomies, for sheer joyful abandonment, for bouncing and barking and twirling in circles. This was the morning for getting bowled over by big dogs, for throwing himself at the photographer, for being totally, completely uncooperative.


Blurry Oliver

I tried standing on the opposite side of a clump of flowers, expecting him to toddle right through them in a direct line to reach me, as he usually does. But no, he decided just to stand on the other side and gaze into the distance:

Or down at some interesting bug on the ground:



I took a cute little video of him bouncing at full speed down the path toward me, and then barking incessantly in my face ("C'mon, mom, put that camera away and CHASE me!!!!"). Unfortunately, I was holding the camera sideways, as I do for many of my stills, and have no idea how to rotate a video clip. So.....please turn your computer monitor on its side while you watch this (and if someone can tell me how to rotate the clip, please do!!!).



Tomorrow, weather permitting, I shall have another go at getting pics of Oliver amidst the flowers.

3 comments:

Janice Gillett said...

Murphys Law eh Jean!! Still he is adorable no matter what angle ;o))

EvenSong said...

He's such a sweetie! And he's an oldster, right? I think it's great that he can just "do his own thins" in spite of your plans! ;-D

Jean said...

Yes, he's fourteen now, deaf as a post, seems to have canine cognitive disorder (doggy alzheimers) as I frequently find him nose-to-wall unable to figure out how to move, gets easily confused and "lost" if I'm not within a few feet of him, and I suspect his sight is going too. He is an absolute sweetie - I adore him!
Despite his disabilities, he is a going concern, and can race the length of the five acre pasture three or four times in a row while my other three are still plodding along!