Sunday, April 12, 2009

Are you smarter than a Canadian.....duck?

I’m obviously not. For the past month, I have been carefully watching a duck in the bog behind the building in which my office at the university is located. He floats around in the reeds and lilies, barely visible through the brush that surrounds the pond. I kept promising myself I would take my camera to work on a nice clear day and take some pictures. I also kept wondering why he was always alone – with no apparent mate or duck friends nearby.

Thursday I crept in closer for a better look. It was only then I realized that the duck I had enjoyed watching for nearly a month was...... A DECOY!

Apparently other ducks knew this and had the sense not to try to mate with him or engage him in ducky conversation. But this human? Nope. Guess I’m not as smart as a Canadian university duck.


Duck glimpsed through brush

Moving in for a closer look

Oops - that's no real duck!



Oh well, at least these are real blossoms



And still real, even when I get close up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jean... Your colleagues reading this will be giggling... Hmmm, I wonder if this is their good-bye prank to you. Good one!

E.

Black Jack's Carol said...

Lovely pond! Smart ducks, but they had the advantage of being able to fly in for a close-up check. Once your camera did that for you, you were just as smart! I'm glad those beautiful blossoms were real:)

Jen in SLO said...

Thanks for the giggle, Jean!

Chasing The Dog said...

Got a good giggle out of that!!

My dad once had a fake plant that he watered dutifully for a month before he was told it fake!

Anonymous said...

In your defence Jean, it does look very real.

Else