Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pretty Pittis!

Arlo, the cool dude!

Well, the Walkin’ for Raven: Pitbulls with a Purpose was a successful event, with a number of really great dogs and their human companions showing up and raising a good sum of money for the Cystic Fibrosis foundation.

And I learned a lot while I was there. I was amazed to read that approximately one in 2500 Canadian children is born with CF, and one in 25 Canadians is a carrier of the mutant gene. Thankfully, CF is no longer the death sentence it used to be when I was a child. Back then, children with CF seldom lived past four or five; now improved diagnostics and treatment protocols have enabled about half of those with CF to live into their late thirties and beyond. With the availability of lung transplants, that median age could be greatly improved.

Today, I met Eva, a 24 year old who had a double lung transplant last fall and is now enjoying all the activities she has always wanted to enjoy. One of the topics we talked about was the need for people to register as organ donors – while the majority of people in BC say they would be willing to have their organs donated after death, only 16% have actually registered. And so many people with CF die of lung failure in their 20s and 30s, when they might have been given the gift of life. You can register right this minute by clicking here .

And now for some pictures of just a few of the pretty pittis I met today. I have a terrible memory for names, so I apologize that the names are missing from most. I knew I should have written them down!





Sadie, the ladybug. She is SUCH a sweet girl!!!

Pitti kisses are the best!

I'm a little princess, but my straps keep slipping!



Naked Arlo - he's the cool dude in the photo at the top of this entry!

It was great fun. Good job, Zoe and Raven!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, Eva is a friend of mine I went to university with, how neat that she makes an appearance in this blog!! ;o)

Glad you had a good time & thanks for the beautiful pitti pictures!!

Katie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jean,
I'm glad for Raven that it was a great event. I wanted to go but was unable to because of my son's baseball game and his birthday dinner.
Good information on your blog entry.
Lou

Anonymous said...

Great blog entry and wonderful pictures.

Else