Thursday, April 10, 2008

And another dear critter crosses over

Teddy Bear

Janice, of Hearts on Noses pig sanctuary, said a sad farewell to Teddy Bear this morning. Teddy Bear was brought to the sanctuary several years ago, terribly overweight and unable to see because of the rolls of fat that covered his eyes. He was crying and confused, and Janice promised to care for him for the rest of his life. That she did. Soon he was able to see the sky, to walk about the property, and to come into the house for a story or a cuddle.

I remember a day, just over a year ago, I was sitting on the step near his pen, my heart heavy with sorrow from a loss I had just experienced. As the tears rolled down my face, Teddy came out of his piggy house and sat near the gate, as close to me as he could be. He made no noise, he just sat there quietly, watching me, keeping me company while I grieved. I told him of my pain and he comforted me at a time when only the animals could comfort me and in the only way that could reach me at that particular point in my life. He was a very sensitive piggy.

Janice's heart is breaking tonight. She loved that pig so much, and he loved her too. She read him stories, she crawled into his house to give him hugs and cover him with blankets, she took the very best care of him and she will miss him terribly.

Teddy Bear, at the Bridge you will find Jingle and Erma and Willy and Barney and Charlotte and a host of others whom Janice has loved. Send her a sign, Teddy Bear, so she knows you are once again free of pain, running free in a place where the hazelnuts and apples and kiwis are plentiful, where there is lots of green grass to eat and cool fresh water to drink and sunny days that are not too hot and not too cold. Run free, Teddy Bear, run free.

Janice, I am so very, very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts tonight. ((((hugs))))).

2 comments:

Viooltje said...

I found you through the HundeHaus blog when she visited your illegally cute piglets and man did you both manage to make me cry like a baby. This is such a wonderful and sad post at the same time. And I'm so glad there are people out there, which I don't personally know, with a big heart and a wonderful soul and so much love for nature and animals and may there be many more like you and your friends. You really touched my heart.
A wonderful blog you have Jean, you're gonna see a lot of me around here now.

Greetings from the Mediterranean,
Violet

Jean said...

How wonderful to hear from readers around the world! Thank you for your comments!